Thursday, November 09, 2006

Interesting


How do you measure how interesting something is? Well one way is feedback. If someone has a Blog that gets 10K hits a day then you might guess it is more interesting than one that gets 5K hits daily. But that is a measure of quantity rather than quality, so is a statistic rather than a 'value'.

I mention this because Flickr has just taken out a patent on 'Interestingness' for searching images. I don't know how it is done, but the idea itself is interesting. If my computer recognises that I spend much time looking up trends in Animation it might guess (in its own computer way) that I find 'Animation' interesting and be able to assess my taste in this field. I would guess the system might have more applications in computer dating though.

I sometimes add little animations to my posts to friends; typically small Gifs of something relevant to the message. It ocurrs to me that these might be used as 'Digital signatures' or 'Watermarks' to assure my friends that they come from me.

Such animations might also be used as a Password. I'm guessing it would be easy to do, and make it more difficult for hackers to get to your passwords. My thoughts on this were prompted by an article about 'captchas' which describes how images instead of words are now being used to try and fool hackers.
Of course, it is well known that most of us use passwords relating to something that is of interest to us. Using a picture or animation of something that is of interest to us would certainly raise the bar for hackers. Perhaps Flickr knows something that we don't.

Stan

No comments: